Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

12/12/13 Last evening Bernie had another incontinence issue, I was up changing the bed at 3:30am.Everytime he has an accident he tells me he was dreaming, I am not sure why he says that, if he feels he needs and excuse or what but I don’t think it has anything to do with dreaming. I always wonder what gets him up after though because half the time he is getting out of bed and that’s what wakes me up only to find out that he has wet the bed. When I got up for the morning at 5:30 I set the coffee maker up, took the dog out and then started my shower say about 5:45, half way through my shower I heard several bangs, I always leave the bathroom door ajar so I can hear him should he get up. What he had done was instead of coming in the bathroom like he usually does when I am in there, he attempted to go down the basement stairs to use the downstairs bathroom! He was very luck that he had ahold of the railing and stumbled a few steps at a time, although he fell and stumbled several times as he was attempting to get up. By the time I had gotten out if the shower and dried off a little he was upright and at the top of the stairs completely out of breath. He had quite a large bruise and skin burn up one side of his arm running from elbow to wrist and the other arm looked to have a smaller patch of run burn. I got him back in bed and explained again how he needs to stay on the one level of the house and never go down the stairs alone, he was lucky again not to hurt himself too badly but he is pushing the envelope and one of these times he is really going to hurt himself. The hardest thing about this condition is that the people affected don’t seem to have the presence of thought to realize they should not be doing these things like walking up or down stairs, putting pants, shoes, or shirts on while standing etc, using common sense just is no longer an option for them, they don’t seem to have that ability. The doctor has mentioned to me that it is time to think about getting a mobility scooter to get him from room to room safely but I am nervous about putting him in something that he can hurt himself in. I am doing a lot of research on the scooters and hope to make an educated decision soon. Signing off for now…

No comments:

Post a Comment